First, we assigned each artist a random-number 0-99 "dice roll" based on the exact microsecond at which they applied for space (using the lowest order bits of an RFC4122 Universal Unique ID timestamp).
If two artists applied with the same mailing address, we averaged their dice rolls together before applying any bonuses.
To this score, we added the following adjustments:
Finally, we planned to give a 10 point bonus for having art be mostly for sale but couldn't be sure we were identifying artists with for sale art correctly. Almost all artists would have gotten this bonus had we been able to tell, and it would not have affected acceptances.
- 50 bonus points for winning an award in the previous four years (we would have done five but the records for Arisia 2012 are incomplete)
- 20 bonus points for providing a website URL
- 20 bonus points for providing an image of a piece of art
- 20 bonus points for working in a medium not represented by any other applicant
- 20 bonus points for being a volunteer on the convention
- 20 bonus points for being new to the show
- 10 bonus points for providing a short blurb describing the body of art to be shown
- 10 bonus points for providing a list of what art would be shown
- 1 bonus point for each piece sold at whichever of the previous two years gave a higher bonus